1. One of the parties to the marriage should be a Sri Lankan Citizen and should give Notice of Marriage to the Embassy of Sri Lanka. (Download)
  2. The marriage may be registered in the Embassy after a lapse of twelve (12) working days from the date of receipt of the Notice of Marriage and within three (03) months from such date.

  3. Valid passports of both parties should be produced.

  4. Two (02) witnesses with valid passports should also be present.

  5. The originals of the following documents are required for the registration of a marriage:

    • * Request letter (Download)

    • * ID issued by the Embassy

    • * Bachelor Certificate (Unmarried Certificate)

    • * Notice of Marriage (Download)

    • * Valid Passports

    • * Visa proof / Proof of Residence

    • * Relevant Fee

Marriage between two Sri Lankan Citizens

  • * Both parties should produce an affidavit at the presence of Justice of Peace/Attorney at Law confirming their Unmarried status.

  • * This Unmarried Certificate/Affidavit should be endorsed by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Colombo 01, Sri Lanka


Marriage between a Sri Lankan citizen and non – Sri Lankan Citizen

  • * Bachelor Certificates should be obtained by the Sri Lanka Citizen (Procedure is same as the above.)

  • * The other party to the marriage is required to obtain a Bachelor Certificate from the Embassy of his/her country.


 Registration of Marriages in Sri Lanka

To register your marriage in Sri Lanka you have to submit the following documents

  1. An affidavit/ unmarried status certificate in case a person has never been married (These documents are valid only for 06 months from the date of issue)

  1. Valid Passports and visas of both parties (Originals)

  2. Divorce Certificate (Original) if the applicant is a divorcee (with the official translation into English)

  3. Death Certificate (Original) if the applicant’s previous spouse has expired (with the official translation into English).


Affidavit/unmarried status certificate should be certified by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the relevant country. For instance, if you are a Russian national, your affidavit/unmarried status certificate should be certified by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation.

When you are hoping to register your marriage in Sri Lanka it is necessary to attest your affidavit/unmarried status certificate at this Embassy before using it in Sri Lanka. We accept documents for attestation from the citizens of following countries.

  • Russia

  • Belarus

  • Moldova

  • Armenia

  • Uzbekistan

Sri Lankan marriage certificates will be issued in English language for foreigners. Otherwise you have to get an English translation of it from a sworn translator. Also it should be submitted to the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Sri Lanka for endorsement.

Address of the Consular Division

3rd Floor,

B.O.I Building,

Sir Baron Jayathilake Mawatha,

Colombo 01.

To legalize your marriage certificate in your country, firstly you have to legalize your marriage certificate at the Embassy of your country in Sri Lanka or in the closest attested country. When you submit your document for legalization it should be in English language with certification of the Consular Division of MFA of Sri Lanka. Finally you have to submit your document to the Consular Division of the MFA of your country for legalization.


Information on relevant fees can be found in the General Consular Fees section.




of the Embassy of Sri Lanka in the Russian Federation


Office hours 10:00 – 12:30  & 14:00 – 16:00 (Monday – Friday)

Closed on Saturday, Sunday & Public Holidays

Tel. +7 495 688 16 20

Fax: +7 495 688 17 51

E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

  (Please send your inquiries by e-mail if you can not reach us by telephone)