For citizens of Sri Lanka who would like to study in Russia:
The Government of the Russian Federation annually grants scholarships to the foreigners to study in Russia.
Before enrollment to a full-term programme the potential students are to undergo a 1-year preparatory course of the Russian language.
You may obtain instructions about the procedure of enrollment:
- On the official website of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation via the link https://studyinrussia.ru/en/.
- On the official website of the Russian Centre for Science and Culture in Colombo via the link http://lka.rs.gov.ru/en/activities/232/projects/940
PLEASE, BE AWARE THAT HOLDERS OF COURSES STUDENT VISAS CANNOT HAVE JOBS in the Russian Federation.
THE HOLDERS OF THE STUDENT VISAS WILL NEED TO OBTAIN SEPARATE VISAS TO TRAVEL TO FOREIGN COUNTRIES from the Russian Federation.
In 2020 the Russian Federation allocated 15 000 quotas for all foreigners who could choose among the following programmes:
Aeronavigation and Operation of Aviation and Rocket-Space Technology
Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Applied Geology, Mining, Oil and Gas
Engineering and Geodesy
Aviation and Rocket-Space Technology
Computer and Information Sciences
Engineering and Technology
Cultural Studies and Social-Cultural Projects
Economics and Management
Education and Pedagogyc Sciences
Electricity and Heat-and-Power Engineering
Electronics, Radio Technics and Communication Systems
Engineering and Technology Land Transport
Graphic and Applied Arts
Health Sciences and Preventive Medicine
History and Archaeology
Industrial Ecology and Biotechnologies
Informatics and Computer Technologies
Light Industry Technologies
Linguistics and Literature
Management In Technical Systems
Mass Media and Information-Library Science
Mathematics and Mechanics
Nanotechnologies and Nanomaterials
Nuclear Engineering and Technology
Nursing Pharmacy Philosophy, Ethics and Religious Studies
Photonics, Instrumentation, Optical and Biotechnology Systems and Technology
Physical and Technical Sciences and Technologies
Physical Culture and Sports
Physics and Astronomy
Political Sciences and Regional Studies
Service and Tourism
Sociology and Social Work
Technologies of Materials
Technosphere Safety and Environmental Engineering Theology
Veterinary and Animal Science
The Universities which are included into the Scholarship programme are as follows:
Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University Kaliningrad
Far Eastern Federal University Vladivostok
Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University Kazan
Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology Moscow
National Research State University (Lobachevsky University) Nizhni Novgorod
National University of Science and Technology MISIS Moscow
National Research Tomsk State University Tomsk
National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University Tomsk
National Research University – Higher School of Economics Moscow
National Research Nuclear University MEPhI Moscow
Novosibirsk State University Novosibirsk
I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University Moscow
Petrozavodsk State University Petrozavodsk
Peoples' Friendship University of Russia Moscow
Samara National Research University Samara
Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University "LETI" Saint Petersburg
National Research ITMO University Saint Petersburg
Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University Saint Petersburg
Siberian Federal University Krasnoyarsk
University of Tyumen Tyumen
Ural Federal University after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin Yekaterinburg
South Ural State University Chelyabinsk
for short-term visa holders
Please, be aware that some agents in Sri Lanka spread incorrect information about the visa procedures in Russia.
Please, find below the accurate information regarding education and employment in Russia.
- Holders of short-term student courses visas cannot be employed in Russia.
- Holders of short-term student courses visas cannot change the place of their studies while staying in Russia. It is required for them to obtain a new student visa in the Embassy of Russia of Colombo.
- Holders of long-term student visas can work without work permit:
- in the University where they study (during the whole period of study);
- outside of the University only during vacations.
Holders of long-term student visas require work permit issued by the Russian authorities to be employed in an outside company if they wish to work not only during the vacations period (to obtain the permit there is a need to collect a set of documents, including approval from the University to work).
- Holders of the student visas will need to obtain separate visas to travel to foreign countries from Russia for any purpose. It is impossible to legally cross the border of Russia with any country without visa of this country.
- Holders of tourist visas cannot change them to working visas while staying in Russia. They will need to return to Sri Lanka and obtain the working visas in the Embassy of Russia in Colombo.
- The only possibility to be employed in Russia legally for anyone except long-term students is to obtain an offer of employment after signing a working agreement with an employer and to apply for a working visa in the Embassy of Russia in Colombo. It is highly recommended to undergo all the procedures under the supervision of the Sri Lanka Foreign Employment Bureau (http://www.slbfe.lk/).